Today, I will show you tutorial how to install New Android Gingerbread 2.3.6 XXJW4 Value Pack Update on Samsung Galaxy S GT I9000. Samsung has already made it clear that Galaxy S GT I9000 users will not be getting an Android ICS update. But to satisfy Galaxy S users Samsung has released Android 2.3.6 XXJW4 based Value pack with some ICS features. The new firmware rom has loaded with some features like Face unlock, new kernel with increased RAM to 364MB, and some tweaks, improved photo editor and Camera UI with capability to take pictures while video recording. There are lot of bug fixes and Auto rotation, GPU rendering performance has highly increased. Latest Google Apps update has also been included.
For those who have not the notification or missed it somehow can use odin to flash the update. We have created a detailed tutorial to guide you through the process. There are chances that it may brick the phone, we would not be responsible.
Disclaimer: This is an Official update build for Samsung Galaxy S GT I9000. Please do not flash on any other device. We will not be responsible for any issue caused as there is some risk in flashing update using Odin.
1. This Value pack update is only for Samsung Galaxy S GT I9000 smartphone users.
2. Now, you must take the backup of your all the precious data from your Galaxy. Although it is not necessary but sometimes it may happens to you that you may lose all your data due to some silly mistake. So, the data you must take care off are as SMS, contacts, call logs, images, audios, videos, Bookmarks, APN (Access Point Names) settings etc.
3. It is also recommended you to charge your device battery to 70%, in order to successfully complete the process. Well this process is going to consume lot of your battery and you need to have suffered with your battery issue.
4. You should also disable and uninstall the Antivirus or firewall from your Computer and as well as device respectively. If you don’t then, you may have to face the interruption during the process while updating process in between.
5. You must navigate yourself to the path ‘Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging’ in order to enable the USB Debugging on your device.
How to Install Android 2.3.6 XXJW4 Value Pack update on Galaxy S GT I9000
Step 1. First Download the firmware update zip file from here. Once it is downloaded, you need to extract the downloaded package and run Odin in your PC from the extracted folder, which helps in flashing. you will get three files below you can see them.
2. Now, you must turn off your device in order to enter into the download mode. Use the Volume down button and Menu Center button by pressing and holding both the buttons together with the power button. Hold it up for 10 seconds now you will see the Green Robot image. Once you saw that image you can release the buttons.
3. Then, connect your device to your PC via original USB data cable. Once device connected successfully, Odin will show it on its tool where ID says: COM port box section will be highlighted in yellow color. This means it connected successfully.
4. When it is done, you have to choose F Reset Time and Auto Reboot in the Option box.
5. Then, you must click on PDA tab to navigate yourself to select the downloaded value pack file. Choose JW4_JW4_JW4.tar and click on Start to start the update process of firmware.
6. After that your device will restart automatically. You need to disconnect from the phone from PC. Then, when it turns off, go to the recovery mode. Which can be done by holding and pressing Volume Up button + Center button and Power buttons all together. Now, keep pressing it for few second till you see the recovery screen. After that, let go the buttons.
7. When you reach to the recovery main menu, select wipe data/factory reset and wipe cache partition to wipe all the data. This will delete your old firmware data. Then, reboot your Samsung Galaxy S GT I9000 by selecting ‘reboot system now’ option.
8. Congratulation! You have successfully updated the Galaxy S GT I9000 smartphone with new value pack update.
9. If you get stuck at any point then repeat the process from step 2.